Oktoberfest is quickly approaching and we want you to be well prepared for all the fun festivities! Find out below how to order a beer, sing traditional songs and speak enough German to impress all your friends.
1. Das Bier - Beer - Might as well start with the most important word at any Oktoberfest event: bier. As you know, Germans take their bier quite seriously and should be consumed in large quantities. Fact!
2. O’zapft is - It's Tapped - This Bavarian saying marks the opening of Oktoberfest. Traditionally the mayor of Munich taps the first beer keg and from that moment on the party is on!
3. Prost - Cheers - You will hear this throughout Oktoberfest, followed by the clinking of beer steins after. Don’t forget to maintain eye contact and shout prost with pride. Failure to follow the rules and both parties will be cursed with 7 years of bad sex!! This is clearly one you don’t want to mess up!
4. Schlager Musik - Hit Music - If you’re ready to go full oompa this Oktoberfest you better be ready to dance all night, in between drinking bier of course. You will likely find a traditional brass band die Blaskapelle playing all the favourites like Erin Prosit, any Abba song, I Will Survive, Highway to Hell and maybe the strangest of all, New York New York to dance the night away.
5. Der Schnaps - Shots - What can I say sometimes the night calls for a shot! If you choose to go with a shot, make it a German liquor.
Typical schlager tracks are either sweet, sentimental ballads with a simple, catchy melody or light pop tunes.
6. Die Lederhose - Traditional leather pants - Did you know that some Bavarians wear them year-round! That’s a lot of chafing, if you know what I mean….
7. Der Kellner / Die Kellnerin - Waiter / Waitress - Can’t get a beer? Why not impress your server by calling for him/her the proper way, oh and don’t forget to tip!
8. Das Dirndl - Traditional Dress - This traditional dress was at one time only worn by Bavarians, it is now one of the most popular choices for female attendees.
9. Zum Wohl - To your health - Tired of saying Prost ?! Try this alternative toast and wish your friends good health.
10. Weisswurst - This sausage is a staple at any Oktoberfest, and with all that bier and dancing you're going to get hungry! This sausage is pale white and packed with flavour. For the perfect meal pair your weisswurst with brezeln (pretzel), senf (mustard) and a weissbier (wheat beer).
There you have it friends, our top 10 list of essential German words you need to know at Oktoberfest! Get your tickets today for all the fun on October 5th at the Aurora Soccer Club and until then Zum Wohl!
Tickets can be purchased online via SNAPD or at the various locations in York Region.Aurora Soccer Club - 510 Industrial Pkwy S, Aurora, ON L4G 6W8
The Aurora Oktoberfest Team